Our international roaming charges differ depending on the country (and roaming zone) you are in. Make sure you check the roaming rates of the country you plan to visit. The table below provides information on which countries fall under which zone.
Note: there is no Zone 5.
When roaming in MultiZone countries (countries that are in Zones 1, 2 or 6 in the table above), Roaming Add-On packs are available. We recommend purchasing Roaming Add-Ons when roaming in MultiZone countries as they provide you with packs full of data, minutes and texts, that keep you from going onto higher charges associated with roaming standard rates. You can add a pack prior to travelling or whilst travelling – to do so, simply go to the Mercury app, available in the App Store and Google Play Store. Check out the Roaming Add-On packs available below.
A Roaming Auto Allowance is automatically applied by us on your mobile plan should you be roaming in a MultiZone country (Zones 1, 2, or 6) and not have already purchased a Roaming Add-On pack. It is valid for 14 days from first use and will be applied up to 3 times (charge applies each time) if needed to help keep you from going straight onto higher charges associated with roaming standard rates. You should have been automatically opted into this feature when you took up your mobile plan with us. You can opt in or out of Roaming Auto Allowance at any time via the Mercury App, available in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.
Note: you need an active Roaming Pack or Roaming Auto Allowance in order to use data roaming services in MultiZone countries.
See below Casual Roaming rates which will be applied if you do not purchase a roaming pack, or are in a country where roaming packs aren't available. The table below shows our roaming standard charges for each Zone. Standard rates do not apply for data roaming. To use data roaming services in MultiZone countries, you need an active Roaming Pack or Roaming Auto Allowance. Data roaming services are not available in non MultiZone countries. In these countries, we recommend connecting via WiFi where possible.
Roaming Zone & Charges
Voice Call - Outgoing
Minute + Minute
Voice Call - Incoming
SMS (Text) - Outgoing
SMS (Text) - Incoming
MMS (Picture Message) - Outgoing
MMS (Video Message) - Outgoing
MMS (Picture/Video Message) - Incoming
MMS (Picture Message) to Email
MMS (Video Message) to Email
• Voice Calls: charges for roaming apply regardless of whether the call is made to a fixed landline number or a mobile number, or whether the call is within the visited country, back to New Zealand, or to a third country. Voice calls are charged per minute.
• SMS/MMS: charges for roaming apply regardless of whether the message is sent back to New Zealand or somewhere else internationally.
• Voicemail while overseas: there are no charges for messages left on your voicemail service while roaming. There is however a charge to retrieve a voicemail while roaming - it will be charged at the standard per minute rate in the country you are in, unless you have an active roaming pack.
• All roaming charges are GST inclusive.
• For more information and helpful tips about Roaming, click here.
To prevent accidental use of mobile data when roaming, we recommend you turn off mobile data on your mobile device. Keep an eye on how much data your online activities use. Social media and messaging apps, video, and music streaming sites, and ride sharing services are common culprits of consuming data use.
Also, be sure to check the roaming rates of your destination before travelling. To save yourself time and money, consider purchasing one of our great value Roaming Add-On packs to suit your roaming needs.