An electricity outage will prevent you from using devices that rely on electricity to operate. This includes:

  • Landline phones provided over a wireless internet connection.
  • Landline phones provided over a fibre internet connection. 
  • Cordless phones or medical alarms without built-in batteries.

This may limit your ability to contact 111 in an emergency.
If your landline is provided over a copper internet connection it will continue to work during an electricity outage as long as you have a compatible device.
As a precaution, make sure you have another way to contact 111 in the event of an emergency, such as a charged mobile phone.


Who is a vulnerable consumer?
A vulnerable consumer is anyone who:

  • has a landline service with Mercury (excluding broadband only); and
  • is at particular risk of requiring 111 emergency services; and
  • doesn’t have a way to contact 111 emergency services during an electricity outage*, such as
    a mobile phone. *alternative way of contacting needs to be operational for at least 8 hours.

If you meet the criteria above, we’ll provide you with a way to contact 111 that can be operated for a continuous 8 hour period at no cost to you. If you choose not to accept this, you may not be able to contact 111 in an electricity outage.

To register as a vulnerable consumer, please download and complete the application form below.

You will need to provide us with evidence to show that you, or someone in your household are at particular risk of requiring the 111 emergency service due to health, safety or disability reasons.

Application form

Please return the completed form to:

Private Bag 12023
Tauranga Mail Centre
Tauranga 3143

It can take up to 10 business days to process an application once we receive it. Once we have completed that we’ll be in contact with you to let you know the outcome.

If you have any questions (including whether you, or someone you know, may be a vulnerable consumer) you can contact us by:

  • Calling 0800 10 18 10
  • Chat with us by clicking the yellow button in the bottom corner of your screen.

We’re here to help Monday to Friday, 8.00am to 6.30pm.

Under the 111 Contact Code we can’t deny or cease supply of a landline service if we know or suspect a consumer is, or may become a vulnerable consumer.

At Mercury, we value customer feedback and take care to address complaints. If you have a complaint about the service you’ve received from Mercury, please contact us in the first instance.

Where there is a dispute between a consumer and Mercury about their rights and obligations under the Code this may be referred to an industry dispute resolution scheme by either party.

Where a dispute under the Code concerns a consumer who is not the Mercury customer (someone who ordinarily resides at the customer’s premises), they may refer the dispute to an industry dispute resolution scheme on behalf of that consumer.

A consumer may make a complaint to the Commerce Commission on 0800 943 600 or via email: regarding our compliance with the Code, but the primary method for making a complaint is to refer the dispute to an industry dispute resolution scheme.