Want to find out how to make a complaint?

Want to find out how to make a complaint?

You might find the answer below. But if you can't find what you're looking for, let us help you. We've got dedicated teams for all your enquiries and we're always happy to help.

Complaint FAQS

// How do I submit a formal complaint over the phone?

If there's anything you're not happy about in your relationship with Mercury, please let us know. We'll do our best to fix any problems as soon as possible.

All you have to do is call.
Phone our Customer Service Team on the following numbers:

// Residential customers                     0800 10 18 10
// Business and farming customers     0800 20 18 20  

You'll find most problems can be resolved over the phone. 

// How can I make a formal complaint in writing?

Mercury’s internal complaints process is free for consumers to use. For your convenience, you can use the online Formal Complaint Form or you can write to us at: 

Private Bag 92008
Victoria Street West
Auckland 1142

We’ll acknowledge your complaint within two working days, confirming that we've received it and provide the name of the person dealing with it.

Within seven working days, you will receive an update on the progress of the complaint, either by phone or via a written explanation.

Your other options:
We're sure we'll be able to sort out any problems between us. However, if you are dissatisfied with our response to your complaint, or if we have taken longer than 20 working days to resolve your complaint (Mercury may notify you in writing of good reason to take up to 40 working days to resolve a complaint, where such reason exists), you have the right to take your complaint to Utilities Disputes. Utilities Disputes is a free and independent disputes service and can be contacted as follows: 

// Phone       0800 22 33 40 
// Website    www.udl.co.nz
// Post:

Utilities Disputes
Freepost 192682
PO Box 5875
Wellington 6140


You can also choose to contact:

// Citizens Advice Bureau
// Community Law Centre
// Ministry of Consumer Affairs
// Your Lawyer
// Disputes Tribunal
// Courts  

Important Note

Nothing in this process reduces or takes away any rights you may have under the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993, or your right to make a claim to a court or disputes tribunal, or your right to refer your complaint to Utilities Disputes at any time.

Complaints about disputed bills

If you make a complaint disputing any amount on your bill, we won't disconnect your supply for not paying the disputed amount while we are investigating your complaint.

If you take your complaint to Utilities Disputes and we are advised of this, we won't disconnect your supply for not paying the disputed amount while your complaint is being considered.

Please note that you will still need to pay any undisputed amounts to avoid any action being taken by our credit department. Also, this does not stop us from disconnecting your supply for other reasons, as detailed in our Standard Terms and Conditions.