A smart meter is an electricity meter that can digitally send meter readings to us. This ensures accurate meter readings & energy bills, as well as enabling you to get the best of your energy usage information in My Account.
- Avoid building fences, gardens etc close to your electricity or gas meter
- Ensure gardens are trimmed back and not blocking your meter
- If your meter is tricky to find, get in touch with details on how to access it
- Ensure gates are unlocked and can be opened by meter readers (if you have a dog, you need to let us know)
- You can supply a key for gate/door locks to ensure access. These will be stored in a secure facility and can be returned to you at any time
- If you have a dog, please ensure they're secured away from the meter area during the scheduled meter reading period
- If your meter is located inside your home, consider having an electrician move it to a more accessible location
- Submit your own meter readings by logging in at mercury.co.nz/myaccount (acceptance of customer readings is at our discretion. See our detailed FAQ below.
Smart meters usually have digital displays which will flash between a few different readings. If you’re not sure, you can get in touch with us directly via email or call us on 0800 10 18 10.
To find out how to upgrade to a smart meter, simply give us a ring on 0800 10 18 10. Easy as. Fees may apply.
Yes, you can submit your meter reading in My Account. Simply follow the steps or screenshot below.
- Click on ‘Manage my services’ in the navigation Menu.
- Click on 'Meter reading'
- Enter your meter reading
- Click ‘Save’.
Enter your meter reading here
It's the best way to provide you with an accurate bill. If we can read your meter, we can make sure that you pay only for the energy you actually use. In addition the Government requires us to read your meter on a regular basis.
Yes, you can enter up to six (6) meter readings in a row by registering for the My Account service on www.mercury.co.nz, or by calling our Customer Services team on 0800 10 18 10 with your account number and following the automated instruction.
We will still need to have a Mercury authorised representative read at least every seventh month. Remember that only one meter reading will be accepted in a 23 day period, and multiple meters/registers for the same premise must be entered all at the same time.
Acceptance of customer provided readings is at Mercury's discretion.
You can get access to your consumption data regardless of if you are a current Mercury Customer or not.
Log into ‘My Account’ on your desktop computer, go to ‘update my details’ and then ‘consumption data request’. Simply fill in the form and you’ll be sent your consumption data via email within 5 working days.
Mercury customers requesting authorisation for third-party agents
Log into ‘My Account’ on your desktop computer and go to ‘update my details’ and then ‘consumption data request’. Simply fill in the form for the authorisation code request and you’ll get the authorisation code upon submission of form.
Agents requesting customer data
All requests for customer data must be submitted via the EIEP Transfer Hub using EIEP13C. Your EIEP13C request must also include the customer authorisation code (obtainable from our website) which we require to verify your request and the customer’s consent. We will not be able to process any requests that do not contain the authorisation code.
Consumption data requests will be responded to within 5 working days via the EIEP Transfer Hub.
If you have not been a Mercury customer for more than 3 months, please call us on 0800 10 18 10 to request your consumption data or to get an authorisation code for a third-party to access your data.
< Return to FAQs page