Got a question about Medical Dependency?

Got a question about Medical Dependency?

You might find the answer below. But if you can't find what you're looking for, let us help you. We've got dedicated teams for all your enquiries and we're always happy to help.

Medically Dependent FAQs


If it's vital your power stays on, it's vital you let us know.

Would being without power be dangerous for your health?

If you or someone you’re living with:

// Is dependent on mains electricity for critical medical support (for example, for the use of medical equipment); and

// The loss of electricity could result in loss of life or serious harm…it’s important that you let us know.

Next steps:

If you think you are medically dependent you can  fill in the form below or phone 0800 10 18 10.

Once you’ve told us:

// We’ll put you on our Medical Dependency Register. As long as you are on this register, we will not disconnect your power.

// You will need to show us proof of your medical condition or disability within 30 days of being registered (including information about why you need your power to stay connected).

// We’ll send you a form to fill out which your doctor must then sign.

You will still need to pay your power bills - and we can help you manage this.


If you or someone you're living with:

// Needs power because of age, health or disability; and

// The loss of electricity is a threat to health or wellbeing; and/or

// It is genuinely difficult to pay electricity bills because of severe financial insecurity;'s important you let us know.

If you think you are a vulnerable consumer, please call us immediately on 0800 10 18 10 or fill in the form below: 



We understand that sometimes it’s tough to pay your power bills. So if you are having trouble, there are some things you can do: 

// Ask family and friends for help.

// Ask your church or other community group for help.

// Call Work and Income New Zealand on 0800 559 009 to ensure you are receiving all the money you are entitled to.

// Call a budgeting advice service close to you. There are free and confidential budgeting services throughout New Zealand. To find one in your area, contact one of the budget agencies listed here.

// Contact us to talk about other options for payment. Below you’ll see some alternative ways to pay your bills.


Payment options

// ​Pay your bill in stages. We may be able to help you by letting you pay your bill in instalments. If we agree, the amount owed can be repaid over a set period of time. Any new charges must be paid when they are due.

// Your income goes directly to help pay your bill. Depending on your circumstances, we may be able to use some of your wages, salary or benefit to directly pay your bill (this is called Income Redirection). This may make things easier for you, as it may be possible to pay a regular set amount.

// Smooth your payments and keep things the same each month. We may, depending on your circumstances, be able to take the highs and lows out of your yearly electricity costs so that you pay the same amount for your power each month. We can also add on to this any debt you owe. We’ll keep an eye on what you’re actually using and re-adjust your monthly payment if required, so you’ll never be paying more than you need to.

// Pay-as-you-go. You can choose a pay-as-you-go electricity product such as GLOBUG. This may make it easier for you to manage your electricity spend and keep on top of payments. Pay-as-you-go electricity is not suitable for customers reliant on power for medical reasons or those whose wellbeing would be threatened by loss of electricity. Please contact us for more options if this applies to you. 

To find out more about any of the above, please call our Customer Payment Solutions Team on 0800 10 18 60.





If you think you could have difficulties paying your bills or may have trouble communicating with us for any reason, you can provide us with one or more preferred contacts who could speak to us on your behalf. This could be a family member, a friend, or a social agency.

They don’t have to pay your bill, but can help you sort out any payment problems. To help you, the preferred contact will need to be able to access your account details. To do this we will need your permission.

To add a preferred contact, please call our Customer Services Team on 0800 10 18 10, or complete the Authorised Account Holders form in My Account under 'My Profile' then 'Authorisation'.


The following agencies may be able to help you with bill payments, or speaking to us on your behalf:

// Citizens Advice Bureau: 0800 FOR CAB (0800 367 222)

// New Zealand Federation of Family Budgeting Services: 0508 BUDGET (0508 283 438)

// Salvation Army: Find a centre near you

// Work and Income New Zealand: 0800 559 009

< Return to FAQs page