We offer a range of payment options to suit your needs - from "set and forget" direct debits and monthly credit card payments, to paying your bill by automatic payment.
Please note: We do not accept cash payments, please do not send cash via post.
PAY ONLINE NOW
For residential customers, simply log in to the the My Account section of our website to set up and make payments online
NEED ANOTHER WAY TO PAY, OR MORE INFO?
Read about all of our other payment options here.
Higher than normal energy bills can be caused by many factors, including the following:
Days in a billing month: The average number of days billed each month is 30, however this may vary due to a range of factors (for example the billing period over December-January is typically about 5-8 days longer due to the public holidays affecting when bills are issued)- a few days more or less could make the total amount due higher or lower than previous months.
Change in lifestyle: a new baby, additional people in your home, new appliances (such as a plasma TV or second refrigerator), additional living spaces or someone now working from home will increase energy use. These lifestyle changes typically increase hot water use, laundry costs and heating and cooling costs.
Rate changes: Changes or increases to energy rates can affect the total amount due.
Seasonal usage: Hot and humid days means you may run the air conditioner and colder days means additional heating may be required. Air conditioning, dehumidifiers, swimming pools/pumps and spa pools would increase energy use.
Actual or estimated meter readings: Estimated meter reads followed by an actual read using a smart meter or an inaccurate meter read could affect the total amount due.
We've put together a simple guide to help you read and understand your power bill better. Check out some of the key features in the video below.
Depending on how old your computer is and what browser you're using - there could be a few reasons why you can't see your online bill.
- Your Adobe Acrobat Reader version may not be compatible. You can download the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader from adobe.com/reader
- The bill link in your email may be split over two lines. This needs to be made into one line before you click on it. Or, cut and paste both halves of the line to make the whole link in your Internet browser.
Also, you can check your bills and transaction history online in the My Account section of the website.
If you've checked the above information and you still can't view your bill, please drop us an e-mail to email@example.com and we'll endeavour to help you out as quickly as possible.
Business customers, please get in touch with us via firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Mercury’s Price Plan Review automatically ensures that you are on the best available residential plan for your individual needs. The review is based on your power usage over the previous 12 months and will recommend the best pricing plan for you for the coming year. If you agree on any suggested change, you will automatically go onto the recommended plan.
Also, if you believe that your usage may change significantly in the coming year, you can choose a different plan. We will check your plan again the following year.
What are Mercury's fees and services?
Service fees are a necessary part of being able to give you the best of us and our services.
Service fees apply to both our residential and business customers with single or 3-phase connections of 100 amps or less (if that’s too technical, give us a ring and we’ll be able to help on 0800 10 18 10).
Here are our fees (GST is already included):
1) Meter reading - special (interim) or final
- Charged when a meter read is requested. $15.00
- Available appointment blocks are between 8:00 - 12:00pm or 12:00 - 4:00pm.
- No fixed times are available.
2) Electricity disconnection or reconnection fee (per site visit)*
- Disconnection for arrears or request by customer (safety disconnection) within working hours (8:00 - 5:00pm). $70.00
- Disconnection request by customer (safety disconnection only) within 3-5 hours, after hours, on the weekend or on a public holiday. $120.00
- Reconnection on same day during working hours (8:00 - 5:00pm).
- All reconnection request calls to be made by 4:00pm. $70.00
- Reconnection request by customer within 3-5 hours. After hours, on the weekend or on a public holiday. $120.00
- Reconnection of power which has been off for more than six months (Service available in selected areas only)** $140.00
* Fees may be charged for each site visit even where a disconnection or reconnection is unsuccessful.
**An additional charge may apply for urgent reconnections when a safety inspection is required.
3) Gas disconnection or reconnection fee (per site visit)*
- Disconnection (temporary or transitional ONLY) for arrears or request by customer (safety disconnection) within working hours (8:00 - 4:00pm). $120.00
- Reconnection on same day during working hours (8:00 - 4:00pm). $120.00
- Reconnection request by customer within 3-5 hours. After hours, on the weekend or on a public holiday. $185.00
* Fees may be charged for each site visit even where a disconnection or reconnection is unsuccessful
4A) Metering New Connection fee
- Charged per visit when you request a representative to visit your premises to inspect, test, install your metering for a new connections $75.00*
*the new connection fee may vary in some areas due to network costs and for non-standard meters. Contact 0800 49 0003 for more information.
4B) Metering Alteration call out fee
- Charged per visit when you request a representative to visit your premises to inspect, test, install and/or change your metering. This includes BTS to perm, meter shifts, overhead to underground, upgrade and downgrades, inspection after prescribed work and resealing a meter*. $241.50
* The fee may vary in some areas and for non-standard meters. Contact 0800 49 0003 for more information.
5) Repeat site visit
- When Mercury sends a contractor to a site and the job is not ready or access cannot be obtained a fee will apply. $92.00
6) Metering call out fee (per visit)
- Charged per visit when a representative is required to visit your premises but the job type does not require an electrical inspector to view. This includes a tariff change where there is a physical change to the meter is involved, faulty meter, high consumption issue, and you requesting a site visit. $135.00
7) Customer site visit (per site visit)
- Representative is required to visit your premises after all reasonable efforts have been exhausted to make contact with the account holder and or alternative contact to discuss your power account, medical dependency or vulnerability status. $60.00
(Please note: Fees may be charged for each Customer Site Visit even where contact is unsuccessful).
8) Prepay install - absent/turndown fee
- Charged if you do not keep an appointment to install a prepay meter or if you refuse to allow one of our representatives to install a prepay meter $75.00
9) Non-network fault call out fee $105.00
10) Non-network no hot water call out fee $105
11) Administration fees
- Payment dishonour. $5.00
- Debt management.$25.00
- Credit refund (free on closed accounts). $25.00
- Price plan change (one free per year. A meter inspection call out fee may apply). $40.00
- Collect outstanding debts. All costs.
12) Transaction fees
- Payment made in person over the counter $1.50
- Payments made by cheque ** $0.50
- One-off credit /debit card transactions *** 1.5%
A bond may be charged as security for payment of your energy supply:
Commercial per connection: The greater of $500 or three times the average monthly charge. This is based on actual or estimated monthly charges, over the preceding 12 months, for the previous occupant.
14) Three year fixed
Special terms & conditions apply to the Three Year Fixed Plan. For terms & conditions, click here
**Payments made by cheque in person over the counter will be $1.50 (they will not incur the additional cheque fee).
***Credit /debit card service fee does not apply to pre-arranged recurring monthly credit /debit card payments. Credit /debit card transactions are only available on some price plans.
**** Excluding change from Three Year Fixed. For terms & conditions, click here.
It's the best way to provide you with an accurate bill. If we can read your meter, we can make sure that you pay only for the energy you actually use. In addition the Government requires us to read your meter on a regular basis.
Yes, you can enter up to six (6) meter readings in a row by logging in to My Account
, or by calling our Customer Services team on 0800 10 18 10 with your account number and following the automated instruction.
We will still need to have a Mercury authorised representative read at least every seventh month. Remember that only one meter reading will be accepted in a 23 day period, and multiple meters/registers for the same premise must be entered all at the same time.
Acceptance of customer provided readings is at Mercury's discretion.
We understand that financial difficulties can affect any of us at different times, for many different reasons. This can make it hard to pay your power bill.
If you are finding it hard to pay your power bill there are several things you can do:
- Keep the lights on and pay back any debt over time with pay-as-you-go power from our preferred provider, GLO-BUG.
- Check out our tips & information on saving power and money by visiting GEM in your My Account.
- Ask family and friends for help.
- Call Work and Income to make sure you are receiving all the money you are entitled to.
- Call a budgeting advice service.
- Contact us directly to discuss other options for payment.
- Call us on 0800 10 18 60 to ask about a payment plan that may let you pay your power bill off a little at a time.
- For special consideration into your financial situation, please fill out our Financial Hardship Form below.